TRAIL STOP 2: The Marion Tavern

 

What is now called the Marion Tavern is actually com­prised of two early Burlington structures. The "El" part of the Tavern was already at its present site when the land was purchased by Abner Marion in 1834. To this he con­nected a "Salt Box" structure which he had moved from the location of the present Union School building. The Tavern was used as a stop-over for stages traveling bet­ ween Concord, N.H., Lowell and Boston. While passengers ate and rested, drivers gathered mail and tended their hor­ ses. When the railroad put the stages out of business, the Tavern was sold to Mr. Charles Mclntire who turned the land surrounding it into a prosperous dairy farm which it remained for many years.

 

Marion Tavern is in danger. Click here for current news.

To see the Museum Mural section containing Marion Tavern, click here.