TRAIL STOP 3: The General John Walker House

 

This house was built in 1780. General John Walker was one of the influential men who convinced the General Court in 1799 to allow the Second Parish of Woburn to separate and become incorporated as the Town of Burlington. He was the son of Captain Joshua Walker who led the precinct contingent to the Battles of Concord and Lexington in April 1775. John himself received his com­ mission from President John Adams in 1798. It was in this house that John's son James Walker, President of Har­ vard College, 1853-1860, was born.