TRAIL STOP 5: Burlington's Old Burying Ground

 

This tract of land known as "Forest Field" was given by Benjamin Johnson to the Second Parish for use as a burying ground in 1769. At that time the land had already been used for this purpose for 40 years or more. It contains some of the oldest gravestones in the area, some dating back to 1736. Found here are stones in memory of the first three ministers of the Second Church. Also buried in this cemetery is Ruth Wilson, who died in 1871 at the age of 89 years. It is she who left money to the town for the repair and upkeep of the burial grounds. A portion of this money was used to build the stone wall which runs the length of the front of the cemetery.