TRAIL STOP 7: The West School

 

This school house is one of a group of five which served the Town of Burlington until the Union School was built in 1898. The funds for construction were appropriated in 1792 and this building erected in 1794. It was originally located in what is now Simonds Park where the Little League baseball field is situated. In 1839 it was moved to its present location. When no longer needed as a school, it was purchased by Mr. Otis Haven and used as a garage. More recently, it was re-acquired by the Town of Burlington and completely restored through the efforts of the Burlington Historical Society.